We hope to continue to add news of opportunities for BAME professionals here. Check out these heartening initiatives for a start
Champagne Louis Roederer WSET Bursary
Champagne Louis Roederer, founded in 1776 and one of the last great, family owned champagne houses, is delighted to offer an educational bursary to one candidate to complete the WSET level 3 in Wines and one candidate to complete the WSET level 4 Diploma in Wines. We firmly believe in diversity and equality enriching all areas of business and we hope that this will encourage more people from the BAME community to embrace the wine industry and grow their confidence in line with their knowledge.
We are proud to work with BAME Wine Professionals for this annual bursary. Please apply by submitting your reasons as to why you should be awarded this scholarship, and how it would help further your wine career.
Applications can be made by emailing mags@email@example.com
Application deadline for both: Thursday 30th November 2023
e-Commerce Sales Executive – Part-time, Fixed term
MJ Wine Cellars offer a selection of wines from boutique, family-run wineries from around the globe, each of which embody everything we stand for: authentic, unique wines made with the passion and knowledge of generations, providing true value and enjoyment to consumers.
We are looking to recruit an e-Commerce Sales Executive on an initial part-time, six-month fixed-term contract.
The purpose of the e-Commerce Sales Executive is to drive the growth and reach of our e-Commerce business. Reporting to the Sales Support Manager, you will be tasked with optimising product placement online and performance across all digital channels, as well as analysing performance to identify opportunities to directly improve sales growth.
• Directly driving e-Commerce sales through the use of advertising channels including but not limited to: paid advertising, social media, email marketing, etc.
• Creating value throughout the onsite experience. Understanding and identifying customer touch points and pain points, and working digitally to translate these into enhancement and engagement opportunities.
• Analysing sales, product views, the site, and page visits; reporting and pulling actionable insights to boost performance. Utilising analytical programmes to suggest onsite improvements.
• Product performance reporting, feeding back insights to the Sales Support Manager and Sales Director to maximise e-Commerce sales opportunities.
• Implementing merchandising strategies as agreed by the executive team.
• Product selection for home and landing pages, product carousels, and utilising email marketing to optimise commerciality.
• Reviewing and optimising PDPs, ensuring copy, specifications and images provide the necessary detail for conversion.
We are looking for an engaged and dynamic character with excellent knowledge and experience, and a proven track record in e-Commerce sales growth and digital marketing.
• Minimum two years’ experience working in e-Commerce and/or Digital Marketing.
• Proven record of driving conversion through paid advertising and social media.
• Proven experience with Facebook AdWords and Google AdWords.
• Engaged and aware of current and emerging best practice within the e-Commerce industry.
• WSET Level 2 (or higher), or similar qualification in wine.
• Experience of systems, notably Microsoft Excel, WordPress, WooCommerce and Google Analytics.
• Flexible working hours. You will be required to work from 10:00 am – 3:00pm, however this will be flexible.
• Working from home. While our office is based in Leighton Buzzard, this position gives you the freedom to operate from the comfort of your own home. Meetings will be scheduled for catchups.
• Formal wine qualification in the form of WSET training.
• Bi-annual, target-related bonuses.
• An excellent opportunity to join a small family business where your input would be visible, valued, championed and encouraged.
• Pension plan.
• Global travel opportunities to iconic wine regions (if of interest).
Contractual working hours are 10:00 – 15:00, Monday to Friday.
There will likely be overtime or working around these hours. MJWC will expect the team to
be flexible (within reason, of course).
Your performance and hours will be reviewed in April 2024.
Competitive and negotiable hourly rate.
OTE Bonus: MJWC will offer a competitive OTE Bonus based on sales growth and impact.
Please submit all applications to Drew Slowe – firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Theale, Reading
Status: Hybrid, full-time – We are able to work a flexible hybrid pattern with a minimum of 2 days in the office (Wednesday being the compulsory day).
About the role
Overall responsibility for delivering multi-channel acquisition marketing campaigns on time, on budget and on brand.
With specific attention to strategic and transactional partnerships (such as, but not limited to, The Sunday Times Wine Club, BBC Good Food, the English Cricket Board, Vodafone and other web-platform services).
Responsible for planning and executing Gifts marketing activity and other cross-channel acquisition campaigns. Supports and executes acquisition campaigns across the portfolio of branded websites, through homepage promotions, dedicated landing pages and the on-site targeting techniques.
- entire brand portfolio (Laithwaites, The Sunday Times Wine Club and Averys)
- Work closely with our key business partners (both strategic and transactional) in order to optimise and devise opportunities to attract new customers
- Execute campaigns across all media (email, display, press advertising, direct mail, inserts, website promotions, events, competitions and more)
- Work with the Senior Partnerships Manager and Head of Partnerships to deliver all acquisition-driving activity through owned, paid and partner channels
- Work closely with our Brand Marketing and Merchandising teams, to implement campaigns which expand and optimise our gifts range, with a view to acquiring new customers.
- Manage all aspects of campaign planning, creative execution, set up and implementation to ensure on-time delivery, accurate test execution and cost management.
- Provide detailed reporting and analysis of campaign performance both upfront and as part of customer lifetime development.
- Build and execute test strategies to expand universe and /or improve performance.
- Work effectively with external media and creative agencies in order to deliver campaign activity.
- Manage budgets and forecasts, optimising campaign plans based on historical performance.
- Understand & allocate spend between channels.
- Work closely with key internal stakeholders including Customer Marketing (CRM), Merchandising, Finance, Production, Legal and Customer Services
For more information about the role, a full job description and how to apply, please contact Andrea Folkard – Andrea.Folkard@directwines.com
Customer Service and Logistics Coordinator
Location: Brixton, London
Status: Hybrid, full-time. £27,000 – £29,000 negotiable
Indigo Wine is looking to recruit a Customer Service and Logistics Coordinator to join our team and run our customer services and outbound logistics.
About Indigo Wine
Established in 2003, Indigo Wine is an award-winning importer working directly with small artisanal growers from all over the world, with a strong focus on Spain. Our customers cover Michelin-starred restaurants to Gastropubs and Independent Merchants to National Retailers. We are a highly respected name in the UK wine trade, founding members of New Wave South Africa tasting and instigators of the Viñateros event.
We are looking to expand on the success and growth that we have seen in the last 20 years and this role will be central to achieving that.
About the role
- Efficient and accurate order processing
- Professional, friendly and timely customer service to our diverse portfolio of clients
- The first point of contact on phone calls and emails to our orders inbox
- Have a solution-led approach to solving issues and being able to prioritise quickly and effectively
- Liaise with our warehouse regarding deliveries/errors/stock shortages
- Provide the sales and logistics teams with any necessary support
Successful candidates will ideally have the following:
- A high level of attention to detail and organisation
- Previous experience working with third party warehouses
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, specifically Outlook and Excel. Experience with Bevica/Microsoft Dynamics NAV would be highly advantageous.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a great team player
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise, and manage time effectively
- A passion for and knowledge of wine
What benefits can you expect?
- A highly competitive salary in line with your experience
- Flexible working arrangements
- Discretionary personal and company bonus
- Company Pension
- Wine at discounted staff prices
- Company sponsored education in both wine and role specific skills
For more information and/ or to apply for the role, please contact Regine Lee, MW on email@example.com.
Decanter 360° Academy Trainee
Department: Decanter / Events Marketing
Status: 12 Month FTC, full-time
Reports to: Alex Layton, Decanter Head of Marketing
Salary: £22,000 per annum
If you’re interested in the world of wine but don’t know where to start, this might just be the opportunity for you.
Our 360 Academy will offer one person from an under-represented background* the chance to gain valuable experience – while getting paid a full London Living Wage salary – working across every department of the Decanter organisation.
* this is by no means an exhaustive list, but this includes people from ethnic minorities, people of colour, those with physical health/disability, mental health issues, sensory impairments, learning disabilities, neurodivergence, and those from LGBTQIA+ or traveller communities.
The successful candidate will also work towards completing a wine-related qualification to help kickstart their wine industry career.
The world of wine media is an incredibly exciting and varied part of the wider wine industry. You will work with our brilliant team across the entire Decanter brand
- Work with and support our sales team who sell print and digital advertising, stands at our global events and our awards
- Develop skills to understand the importance of sales to the wider business Marketing
- Learn about our extensive B2B and B2C marketing campaigns that support the wider brand – including events, awards, social media and subscriptions
- Learn to monitor and understand the performance of marketing campaigns
- Develop skills to understand monthly marketing budget allocations
- Support our editorial team across both the print magazine and websites decanter.com and decanterchina.com
- Learn about how content is published both in print and online plus essential skills such as SEO
Awards and Events Operations
- Support our awards and events operations team during key times of the year including across our Fine Wine Encounter events, World Wine Awards, Retailer Awards and Panel Tastings
For more about Decanter, the role and the opportunities available visit the Decanter 360 Academy.
Application process and dates
1. Submit a short covering letter explaining why you are interested in joining the wine industry and why you believe this Academy opportunity is right for you along with your CV via this link by Friday 20 May 2022.
2. A short telephone introductory call will be arranged, where you’ll speak to one of our friendly Recruitment team about your interests, your work/education experience so far and you’ll find out more about what our Academy is all about!
3. Formal interview – you’ll be invited to our office in Paddington/video call to attend a formal interview where we’ll get to know you better and give you an opportunity to shine!
4. Feedback – once you’ve attended your interview, we’ll provide you with detailed feedback on how you did and if we think this is a good opportunity for you.
5. Follow up task – you’ll be then invited to complete a short follow up task which will be due one week after your interview.
6. Start date – Monday 6 July 2022 (or as close to that date as possible)
MHUK WSET courses
Moët Hennessy UK are particularly proactive in matters of diversity and inclusion and are offering BAME professionals a total of six Level 1 WSET wine courses and 16 Level 2 wine courses. These have to be completed by the end of July.
To apply for one of these, send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you want to start or continue your journey into wine. Successful candidates should ideally be, or have been until the pandemic, employed in the UK on-trade and to have a BAME background. Please include these details in your application. Please also include the date of the course you would like to attend by checking course availability here.
The Vintners’ Company Talent Development Fund
We are delighted to announce that a new development fund has been made available by The Vintners’ Company. The fund aims to foster Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic talent in the UK wine industry by supporting individuals who seek to develop their wine knowledge, understanding and tasting skills to an advanced level. Successful applicants will gain access to a fully funded WSET Level 3 Award in Wines programme and will be matched with an industry mentor.
The fund is open to those who hold the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines. During the application process, you will be asked to explain how you intend to use this support to achieve your career objectives. You do not need to be working in the wine industry currently to apply, but you must be actively pursuing a career in this area.
Applications are open throughout 2021 and will be reviewed quarterly by a selection committee from The Vintners’ Company, BAME Wine Professionals and WSET. Please note that the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is a challenging programme that has a minimum requirement of 84 hours of study time, including 30 hours of classroom or online delivery time with a WSET course provider. Before applying, please read the qualification specification in detail to ensure that you are able to dedicate the required time to study.
WSET UK Bursary Scheme
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) operates a bursary scheme which is designed to help potential students in the UK who would otherwise be unable to take a WSET qualification due to financial hardship. Bursaries can be awarded to fund between 25% and 75% of the course fees of any WSET qualification, depending on the individual circumstances of each applicant. Applications for funding under the WSET UK Bursary Scheme should be submitted by email to email@example.com. The applicant will then be advised of the full application process. All applications for funding under the WSET UK Bursary Scheme are subject to approval, and are at the discretion of the WSET Board of Trustees. This bursary is open to anyone in the UK, but there are also some international bursaries and scholarships available – you can find details of these on theWSET global website.
Majestic Wine’s WSET BAME Scholarship
Majestic are offering 24 free WSET Level 2 online courses from October 2020 to BAME applicants. MD John Colley explains, ‘it’s a simple, no-strings programme, with successful applicants under no obligation to join the industry afterwards although it could be a great stepping stone for a career with Majestic or in wine generally.’ All materials, samples etc will be provided. More details here.
A social enterprise working towards equity in the UK wine and wider drinks industry through community, dialogue and positive action.
BAME in Hospitality
A not-for-profit organisation founded by hospitality leader Lorraine Copes with a mission to drive education, amplify voices, build community and accelerate racial equality within hospitality, food and drink sectors. This mission will be delivered through learning and development, partnerships and events.
Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Formed three Diversity and Inclusion Committees in July 2020.
Institute of Masters of Wine
Set up a Diversity Committee in July 2020 with co-chairs Lisa Granik MW and Stephen Wong MW.
The Drinks Trust
The UK drinks industry community organisation has been providing support, care and assistance to those who experience difficulties since 1886 and has recently added vocational and well-being support to its previous provision of financial and practical support.
Diversity in Wine and Spirits
Transforming the international hospitality community by implementing global diversity and inclusion initiatives as well as scholarships, grants and professional development resources to give everyone the opportunity to participate, achieve their highest potential and contribute to the drinks industry.
Wide-ranging programme aimed at celebrating diversity in the wine business, dedicated to educating and promoting more Black wine professionals in the US. The impressive team behind it include several Masters of Wine and prominent business people.
Guide to Black wine talent in the US assembled by Washington DC-based wine writer Julia Coney.
Open Wine Forum, @openwineforum
The Open Wine Forum (OWF) is an organisation aimed at helping to create a more diverse, creative and fairer wine world.
The Hue Society, @thehuesociety
Hue Society is a curated community that serves as a lifestyle hub for access to all things related to Black wine culture.
The Roots Fund, @rootsfund
Empowering under-represented minorities in the wine industry by providing resources and financial support through educational scholarships, wine education, mentorship, and job placement. Committed to investing in the black and indigenous wine community to provide opportunities to those seeking a career/education in all aspects of wine.
Wine Empowered, @WineEmpowered
Diversifying the wine industry by empowering women and BIPOC individuals with tuition-free education, mentoring services, and access to a wider network of sommeliers and hospitality professionals.